Places & Spaces Library

Cooper House History

* History excerpt from the American Studies Program Page, learn more about the program here.  Frank Cooper was a wealthy Englishman that came to the territory of Wyoming during the 1870s. While in the region, Cooper established a vast cattle empire and was the first to develop a successful method to freeze and transport beef. In 1904, Cooper sold his…

COWBOY CARNEGIES

Carnegie Libraries in the Cowboy State Cowboy Carnegies Campaign The Cowboy Carnegies campaign seeks to raise awareness of Wyoming’s Carnegie library buildings and promote their preservation and continued use.  AHW recognizes the importance of the remaining Carnegie buildings, constructed as centers of community learning and gathering, and serving as the site of many formative experiences for Wyoming’s citizens. The Carnegie…

Craig Chevrolet Building

Join Weston County Historical Society & Weston County Historic Preservation Board on May 15th at 1:30 pm for a presentation and tour at the Craig Chevrolet building in Newcastle, Wyoming. History of the Craig Chevrolet Building written by Bri Brasher & Leonard Cash for the Weston County News Letter Journal on August 10, 2017. The automotive industry provided a boost…

Grant St. Grocery

JOIN CASPER HISTORIC PRESERVATION BOARD AT GRANT ST. GROCERY ON MAY 1ST FOR A HISTORIC CELEBRATION AT THE LAST STANDING MARKET IN CASPER. HISTORY OF GRANT ST. GROCERY – 815 S GRANT AVE, CASPER, WY Written by Lindsay Grant, co-owner of Grant St. Grocery Casper experienced an oil boom period that began in 1913-14 and continued well into the next…

Grant St. Grocery History

History of Grant Street Grocery Excerpt taken from Wyoming State Historic Preservation Office Casper experienced an oil boom period that began in 1913-14 and continued well into the next decade. The major oil companies established their headquarters in Casper, providing employment and injecting capital into the local economy. The population of 2,639 in 1910 nearly doubled in the next five…

History of Jackson

EXPLORING HIDDEN HISTORY ON THE TOWN SQUARE   By Samantha Ford and the Jackson Hole Historical Society & Museum, with Michael McCoy Original Article found here. Visitors come to Jackson Hole for many reasons, including the abundant outdoor recreation, scenic views, and wildlife. A less known delight: exploring the town, which can unlock many exciting and notable historical stories. When…

Legend Rock State Petroglyphs Site

(Article from SAH Archipedia written by Fred Chapman) Located approximately 30 miles northwest of Thermopolis, the quarter-mile-long Legend Rock Petroglyph Site is one of the largest accessible rock art sites in the U.S. The site is located along the northern terraces and vertical sandstone cliffs of Cottonwood Creek in the southwestern Bighorn Basin. Legend Rock features 55 separate rock panels…

Lemley Mill

Through the Ages: Saving Wyoming’s Historic Mining Heritage By: Gina Clingerman Nestled at the southern end of the Wind River Mountains in central Wyoming is a collection of log structures, cabins, saloons, and mills that were once part of the bustling South Pass and Lewiston Mining Districts. The buildings are mute sentinels of time, silently watching countless generations ebb and…

Sheridan Inn

By Carrie I. Edinger, Historical Educator & Events Coordinator, Sheridan Community Land Trust The Sheridan Inn is a historical treasure to Sheridan, Wyoming and the building represents a rich local history and American western legends. The inn is a 145-foot-long, three-story, L-shaped structure that was designed by Thomas Rogers Kimball, an architect of Omaha, Nebraska. Kimball’s plan for the Sheridan…

Ayres Natural Bridge Park

By Melissa Mehle, Editor Wow. A destination that starts with a winding country road and gives no hint of the serene scenic hideaway that lies ahead. The park is located about 2 miles south of the Oregon Trail, 11 miles West of Douglas, WY on County Road 13. The span at the bottom of the bridge is about 150 ft…

Scandal at the Corthell Farm

Story submitted by the daughter and granddaughter of Ross Hill: Gail Hill Mehle and Melissa Mehle. Photo of the Corthell Barn from the early 1900s. The old Corthell farmhouse and dairy barn still stand in West Laramie off HWY 130. The structures were built in the early 1900’s and contributed to many stories and traditions within the Corthell family. Here…

Jen’s Books (Formerly Converse County Bank)

By Douglas Historic Preservation Board . The building that contains Jen’s book is a single-story brick building formerly served as the Converse County Bank for several decades in the twentieth century. It is significant for its role in the commercial development of Douglas in the twentieth century, as a noteworthy example of bank architecture. The Converse County Assessor’s property record…

Blake/Delfelder House – Riverton, Wyoming

By Judy Pedersen Riverton locals have called this the “Delfelder House” for years, but in reality, it was originally the Blake house. John Wesley Blake probably arrived in Riverton in 1906 although a newspaper article in the Riverton Republican dated October 12, 1907, stated that J.W. Blake and family had arrived in Riverton and would soon be moving into their…

The Wandering Hermit

By Dan Brecht, Owner of the Wandering Hermit Wheatland was founded to serve the farms and ranches that sprung up in the Wheatland Flats after the Wyoming Development Company began its ambitious irrigation project. Gilchrist Avenue, the widest street in the new town, became the preferred location for new businesses springing up between the Colorado and Southern Railroad depot and…

518 Broadway, Thermopolis, Wyoming

In 2017, the Alliance for Historic Wyoming gave a Historic Architecture Assistance Fund grant to the Thermopolis-Hot Springs County Economic Development Company (EDC) to survey a building located at 518 Broadway, Thermopolis, WY. Read more about the project here.

The Durlacher

When driving down 2nd street of downtown Laramie, it’s hard not to notice a big iron storefront on one of the buildings that reads “Simon Durlacher.” The building on 203 S 2nd street has been around since 1872 when it was built by Simon Durlacher, making it one of the oldest buildings on the block.

Hanna’s Community Hall

As Hanna became its own town separate from it’s mining history and endured  more busts, the Community Hall has remained a permanent fixture to this day. It currently houses the Hanna Basin Museum and was listed on the National Register for Historic Places in 1983.