Jen’s Books (Formerly Converse County Bank)

By Douglas Historic Preservation Board


The building that contains Jen’s book is a single-story brick building formerly served as the Converse County Bank for several decades in the twentieth century. It is significant for its role in the commercial development of Douglas in the twentieth century, as a noteworthy example of bank architecture.

The Converse County Assessor’s property record for 102 North Second Street indicates a construction date of 1910. Early Sandborn maps corroborate this date, and show that the building was initially used as a saloon. By 1920, it appears to have been converted into a bank. The extant brick facade with terra cotta embellishments might have been added sometime between 1912 and 1920 to provide the bank with a more stately and dignified appearance. The Converse County Bank was established around 1918. Although a small building, its architectural imagery effectively conveys the dignified status of a financial institution, and contributes to the historic streetscape of North Second Street.