Places & Spaces Library

Jen’s Books (Formerly Converse County Bank)

By Douglas Historic Preservation Board . The building that contains Jen’s book is a single-story brick building formerly served as the Converse County Bank for several decades in the twentieth century. It is significant for its role in the commercial development of Douglas in the twentieth century, as a noteworthy example of bank architecture. The Converse County Assessor’s property record…

The Wandering Hermit

By Dan Brecht, Owner of the Wandering Hermit Wheatland was founded to serve the farms and ranches that sprung up in the Wheatland Flats after the Wyoming Development Company began its ambitious irrigation project. Gilchrist Avenue, the widest street in the new town, became the preferred location for new businesses springing up between the Colorado and Southern Railroad depot and…

Cowgirl Carnegies

It’s the first post for the Diversity Initiative’s Preservation Month, and what better to start the month than talk about Carnegie Libraries in Wyoming and the women’s clubs that helped make them possible. This profile is written by Andrea Graham, who leads our Cowboy Carnegie program which is a traveling exhibit that has gone to cities throughout Wyoming.

Union Tavern

Though there were shortages, booms, and busts in Hudson, Wyoming one building remained opened through everything, the Union Tavern. The bar was originally built in 1915, and still continues to stand within the small town of Hudson.

Sliver Star Camp

The Silver Star Camp located in Thayne, Wyoming was built in 1909 was built by the Ladies LDS Relief Society. In 2017, the DUP was awarded a Historic Architecture Assistance Fund grant which matched them with Dubbe-Moulder to create a rehabilitation plan for the property.  

Old Johnson School

The Old Johnson school, which is currently being occupied by Destiny Church and Academy, was built on the South Side of Cheyenne in 1923. Following an unfortunate accident in 2016 which compromised a load bearing wall on the west side of the school, Destiny Church and Academy was awarded a Historic Architecture Assistance Fund grant in 2016, which connected them to TDSi in Cheyenne. 

Slovenksi Dom

Rock Springs’ Slovenski Dom has served as the social and cultural heart of Rock Springs’ Slovenian community for over 100 years. This building is a great representation of the preservation of immigrant history within the state, and an important example of repurposing and using old buildings not leaving them dormant.

Corthell Dairy Barn

Located in West Laramie off of Highway 130 stands the 1910 wood frame Corthell Dairy Barn. Owner Candace Pisciotti was awarded a Historic Architecture Assistance Fund grant in 2016 to assess the barn’s condition. She hopes to develop a plan to preserve the building for future use. 

Skyline Theater

In September 1940 the new Skyline Theater opened in Pinedale, Wyoming and operated as a theater until the 1980s. The Skyline Theater is located in Pinedale’s locally designated historic district, and was awarded a Historic Architecture Assistance Fund grant in 2017.

Dayton Mercantile

The Historic Dayton Mercantile is an amazing look into the rich history of Sheridan County and the beginning of the town of Dayton. The majestic old west look of the two-story building beckons people to look inside and is the subject of thousands of tourists’ photographs each year. 

Cheyenne Carnegie Library

The first library in Cheyenne was located in Central School in a relatively small room. As the town grew and its needs multiplied, a committee to build a new library was established in 1900, and two years later, Cheyenne had a Carnegie Library.

Hynds Lodge

Hynds Lodge, built by Cheyenne businessman Harry P. Hynds in 1922 for $25,000, was constructed as a lodge at the recreation camp for the Boy Scouts of America.  Hynds came to Cheyenne in 1882 and worked as a blacksmith for the Cheyenne-Deadwood Stage Line before acquiring several gambling saloons and making a fortune.

Rock Springs Chinatown

Chinese workers who lived in Chinatown in Rock Springs were attacked in 1885 and the neighborhood was destroyed. Unlike the buildings, the history and stories of their community was not lost.

Trinity Lutheran Church

The First Scandinavian Evangelical Lutheran Church on August 13th, 1884, conducting services in Scandinavian languages. Newly arriving immigrants who were experiencing the same cultural changes were able to support each other in the shared space of the church.